Monday, September 1, 2008

work and play


If you love me, feed my sheep.
Sunday afternoon was children’s camp, and it became an exercise in improvisation. While we were dividing the children into groups, the rain started, so our mistress of ceremonies Jenny canceled the crafts and we immediately jumped into games, such as egg (plastic) race thru the mud. The kids of course loved it, and after we lost our inhibitions about getting wet, we did too.

This morning was a bit more serious. About 400 people showed up for medical care, which soon overwhelmed our staff. We had a crushing crowd at the door of the clinic and a few angry situations as people jostled for position. I don’t exaggerate when I say our group is managing the challenge heroically, and this applies many times over to our missionaries, who don’t have a quick exit coming up.

Once again, lunch break over, more later. Feel free to post comments on this blog, which I will try to convey to the group (no connection at the lodge).

3 comments:

Granbarry Bowers said...

Rollin:
Enjoying your blog and keeping up with my good buddy Drew Blanchard.
I have some news he might want to know about. Can I reach him via email or just post it on the blog?
Bates Bowers
Atlanta

Unknown said...

Thanks for keeping in touch with us so many miles away. The pictures give a real sense of reality. I know your work is so very needed and appreciated. Please tell Bill Phillips a great big HI for me!!! Janice

mamalathe said...

Jenny, I see you did the "safety patrol" ribbon thing..the children are darling, I wonder if you told
a Bible story and gave the crafts for them to do later. I am back at work tonite but thought of you yesterday playing with children. Your husband has done a great job with the blog. Christy must be proud of y'all. Did you use the name tags and take pictures as planned. Thanks for going! love, carol